Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012


No Sound after upgrading to Windows 7

Yesterday, I upgraded from XP to Windows 7. Once finished, I tried to listen to music. The sound indicator bar was moving but I could not hear anything. I checked the speaker connections and even tried the headphone jack but still no sound. The device manager does not show any problems and I am not getting any error messages. The ONLY change I made was the upgrade... before, sound; after, no sound. 
Answer
Thank you for your post.  Let's make sure that your playback devices are enabled.
Right-click the speaker icon on your taskbar > Select 'Playback Devices'
In the empty space, Right-click and select both 'Show Disconnected/Disabled Devices'
Do you see icons for your speakers and headphones now?  You may need to enable both of these.
You can also try the troubleshooter to discover any connection issues that may exist, instructions are below:
Click 'Start' > Select 'Control Panel'
Type troubleshooting in the top-right search field > Select 'Troubleshooting'
Click 'Hardware and Sound' > Select 'Playing Audio'
Please let us know if this did or didn't help to resolve your problem.
Yesterday, I upgraded from XP to Windows 7. Once finished, I tried to listen to music. The sound indicator bar was moving but I could not hear anything. I checked the speaker connections and even tried the headphone jack but still no sound. The device manager does not show any problems and I am not getting any error messages. The ONLY change I made was the upgrade... before, sound; after, no sound. I had something similar happen and the issue was that I have an old sound blaster. The drivers I had did not support windows 7. I would suggest going to your sound card's mfg website and downloading up to date drivers.
I had the same problem.  W 7 lists my laptop as a desktop, which appears to mean it can't see the internal speakers or microphone.  Your suggestions do not solve the problem.  I cannot enable the internal speakers - they do not appear on the list because W7 dos not detect them.  Troubleshooter just tells me I need to connect peripherals to the I/O sockets.
Previous versions of Windows allowed you to tell Windows what speaker configuration you had - is there no manual override for W7?

I have exaxt the same probleme with win7 / Samsung M50 Laptop / Realtek audio device. Only an S/PDIF output appears, but the internal speakers don't give a beep... Neither Installing newest drivers nor starting the solution center nor searching hours on google and co did solve the problem =(
Yesterday, I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista. The installation went quite smoothly, but there is no sound. I have tried your suggestions for fixes; neither worked. Can you recommend options?
I had this same problem and after doing some hard research, several hours later.. trying to go to my manufactor and trying to install old drivers from my old xp, and vista cd's and no luck, I simply went to cnet's websited for download and searched:  SigmaTel4487.exe - SigmaTel Audio Driver Version: 5.10.4487
Installed it and just like that, my speakers were once again recognized and I I saw them plugged in, I was on the verge of buying a new sound card since my current configuration is a sound card intergrated with my motherboad.  I actually bought one of the ebay USB sound cards for $4 as a last resort, too bad I won't get to use it anymore and I already wrote those few dollars off as a lost cause and I have not even receive the usb card.  Oh well, you live and learn.  This was the only issue I had with windows 7, the no sound problem.  Other than that, my experience has been great and I will still recommend it.  I hope this helps some of you out there, enjoy!

I have the same problem and none of these solutions seem to be working, my computer keeps telling me that my speakers (the internal ones in my computer) are working properly, but no sound comes out and when I try to play something it tells me that "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help." The web help just sends me back in a circle checking my speakers which are supposedly working. Any help???
I tried that website.  It does search for old drivers, but you have to PAY FOR THE NEW DRIVERS!  Way to spam the blog up
Hey, I had this same problem for a week.  I have had Windows 7 for awhile.  All of a sudden my sound quit.  I just fix my today. I needed to reinstall my audio driver for my motherboard.     
 I looked inside my computer to see what motherboard I had. My was an Intel some number.  I went to Intel's website and search my motherboard's model number.  There should be a list of drivers for the motherboard including LAN, chipset,  and Audio.  Download the audio driver for your specific motherboard.
I'm glad I fixed mine and am listening to 311.  Hope you can too!








No comments:

Post a Comment